- YouTube is a great marketing tool anyone can leverage, but to work effectively videos should be properly optimized.
- Making your content easily accessible only increases its chances of being discovered by an audience who is willing to engage with your brand’s message.
- Tagging, branding, and using keywords are all vital optimizations.
- Engaging YouTube videos that are optimized properly can rank for related queries on major search engines like Google and Bing.
YouTube is a great marketing tool anyone can leverage. It’s free, easy to use, and provides users with a platform they can use to potentially reach as mass audience. We say “potentially” because there is some thought that goes into creating video content that will resonate with people. The reality is some do not give any thought to video optimization, simply post up a video, forget about it, and wonder why it didn’t get many views.
So, how do you properly optimize YouTube videos for SEO? First, and foremost you must consider the following:
- Detailed description: Every video you post must contain a detailed description to help inform users what your video is about.
- Keywords: Choose relevant keywords that users would typically search for on YouTube and optimize your video title using those keywords.
- Create a Playlist: Group videos together based around a similar topic, select a relevant key-phrase for your playlist title and provide a unique description.
If your YouTube video doesn’t have a detailed description or keywords, it’s simply not going to perform well in search. Those are the bare minimum requirements for video optimization, and here are a few best practices.
YouTube Optimization Best Practices
This goes without saying but YouTube values quality over quantity, just like Google. Make sure that whatever you’re posting provides value and encourages engagement in the comments section. When you start writing a video title make sure the headline pops and include a keyword in your thumbnail image.
Pro tip: Keep your video titles to 100 characters, or less and use a high-res thumbnail image.
- Tagging: Don’t forget to tag your video with related keywords. Tagging with 5-8 relevant keywords allows your videos to rank for related queries on YouTube search results.
- Branding: Branding is an important part of marketing and your brand’s YouTube channel should not be overlooked. Upload a custom header that is consistent with your branding on other platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.)
- Video Embedding: A great way to ensure video optimization is to embed and share your videos on existing platforms, such as your company blog or Facebook page. The more organic views your video receives, the more exposure YouTube’s algorithms will give it.
Video Optimization Recap
When it comes YouTube video optimization, setting yourself up for success doesn’t have to hard. Just make sure of the following:
- Use a keyword and catch phrase in your video title.
- Write a detailed video description (include any relevant links.)
- Use 5-8 relevant video tags to increase the chances of video discovery.
- Brand your YouTube page and upload a nice-looking header image.
- Embed and share your YouTube videos elsewhere, i.e., on your brand’s blog, Facebook, Instagram, and other social channels .
(Video) Content is King
We’ve all heard the phrase “Content is King” and that saying could not be more true for video content. Video content has become the preferred medium for consuming information and it’s the easiest way to make an emotional connection with your audience. Furthermore, engaging YouTube videos that are optimized properly can rank for related queries on major search engines like Google and Bing.
Making your content easily accessible and decipherable only increases the chances of being discovered by an audience who is not only willing to listen but will also engage with your brand’s message. Have a question about video or content marketing? Give us a shout today and find out more about our services and how we can help grow your brand’s voice.