Content Curation

Curation? Like at a museum? 🤔

Content curation refers to the act of finding and sharing content with an audience. This is not content that was created by the blog or website owner; instead, it is content that was created by someone else online and found and reposted by the site. There are dozens of content curation tools out there that can make the process even easier.

It’s a way that businesses and brands can deliver a large variety of content to their platform, which will keep them engaged and connected. With the current demand for a constant stream of content, content curation is a strategy that might help, but should not be the primary way that a brand reaches its audience.

This is most commonly seen on social media, especially on sites like Instagram and Twitter. On Instagram, reposting a relevant photo, chart or graphic, words of inspiration, or even a pertinent meme can be a quick save when the content creation wells are running dry. Retweets on Twitter can help share other’s voices, and can help grow an engaged following.

Benefits of content curation

On a blog, content curation might not be the act of reposting an entire article. Instead, it can refer to gathering information and external links that will support a blog post.

The biggest benefit of content curation is that it is easy – or, at least, easier than creation. Coming up with content takes time and effort, from brainstorming ideas to writing them out, proofreading, and optimizing written or video content. This effort doubles if a brand is active on multiple social media platforms and posts regularly to a blog.

This makes content curation cost-effective. Search around for what’s popular among a brand’s niche, save, and repost with credit to the original creator. This helps maintain conversations with an audience, as the more content is shared, the easier it is to keep up engagement.

There’s also a networking opportunity to be had. Sharing content or guest posting can help build a sharing relationship, and might lead to connections and mutually curated content.

Content curation best practices

While one size never fits all for how a site or platform is run and managed, the rough numbers add up to suggest that a brand should feature at least 80% original content, with the remaining 20% shared between curated and syndicated content.

Adding a brand’s own voice to curated content also helps brand voice shine through, and keeps the conversation going.

One of the most important best practices for content curation is accreditation. Not only is reposting without credit to the original creator considered rude to the creator, but it can be seen as plagiarism. This can sour a business’ online image, and even lead to legal issues if the problem is serious enough.

Of course, ensuring that content meets a brand’s needs and messaging is important to the content curation process as well. Curated content should be there to support the original content, not confuse the audience as to what a business really values.

More on content curation

Let us help with your content!

Contact Us Below

    See also

    Blog –>

    Backlinks –>

    Content Marketing –>

    Copy link
    Powered by Social Snap